Sunday, December 19, 2010

Saying goodbye to the A-Team

I love my team. I do. If I could somehow take the whole lot of them with me into my new role when I return to corporate life, I would.

On Wednesday they organised a farewell for me. At about 10:30am I was sitting at my desk absorbed in some exciting report or other when I heard a lot of heavy breathing behind me. When I turned around I laughed so much I cried. A cliche but a true account of what happened. Check out below to see why.

This photo was taken after I had put on the t-shirt they made me, which featured all of their faces enshrined in love hearts - that's me in the middle. That's David second from the right, the one who has an apple logo sticker on the front of his Dell laptop.

They wore these shirts around the office all day.  I think people thought it was some kind of a flash mob - the marketing team promoting some new campaign. People were still talking about it on Friday - which may or may not have had anything to do with the massive 'I HEART KT' poster hanging next to my desk. They were probably just wondering why I love myself so much that I hung up a poster about it.

Even though I have quit my role, got a new one, hired my replacement, rented out my apartment and moved in with my parents, this was the first day that the reality of what I am doing really sunk in. The last four years in this role have been a sometimes dizzy mix of challenging and rewarding - I have hired and fired, given warnings about phone bills and good news about promotions. I started with two staff and say goodbye to 12. I have made hundreds of cups of coffee with this crew. Do I feel sad about moving on? Yes, I do.
I just want to say - thanks team (since I know that a few of you have now discovered my blog - thanks DT). You are the best team a corporate girl could wish for. When I need a flash mob to promote my new bestselling novel, you will be the first people I call. 

No comments:

Post a Comment