Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Plaster teeth and other random things I have found while packing

So here I am. Sitting on the couch. Just me, my laptop, a lot of boxes and a gecko on the wall. Only a few loose items remain to be packed – a bowl for breakfast, a glass for water....and maybe one for wine. You know, just the essential stuff.
Some of the random things that I have discovered in my packing:
-     Old video tapes including Cher fitness videos, my high school formal, and Dirty  Dancing.
-     Set of plaster teeth at the back of the bathroom cabinet from when I had my mouth guard made.
-     Mum and Dad’s phone charger from three years ago (sorry about that, just add it to the bill)
-     Three penis shaped twisty straws from Emma’s Hens lunch. I thought about keeping them for my nephews as I’m sure they wouldn’t know, but it just seemed a little wrong.
On my right are boxes full of stuff from the kitchen. It is amazing how much kitchen stuff I have for someone who doesn’t cook. And kitchen stuff I don’t even know how to use, like a Mortar and Pestle. Why would anyone still use a tool in the kitchen that requires manual labour? I have always loved the idea of being a good cook – unfortunately the cooking genes went mostly to my older sister Elissa. I cook more like my Nan, who is infamous for her Sunday night special where everything leftover from the week gets made into a casserole. I still have fond memories of a casserole about 20 years ago that featured cheerios and ruffles chips.
On my left are boxes full of books, and these are just the ones from the living room. There are more in both bedrooms upstairs. A good cook I am not, a devoted reader I am.  
And then of course the boxes where I have just stuffed those things into that I have no idea what to do with, but am sure I will figure it out when I open the box in 12 months time. Mum said she had a few of those when we moved up from Canberra when I was 11 – after not opening them for 20 years, she eventually threw them all out when they moved to Bulimba. I asked her what was in them and all she could remember was old shoes.
So the packing is 95% done. Removalists are booked for Thursday. Tenants move in on Saturday. Only two more nights in Red Hill before the hard work adventure truly begins.
A huge thanks to Billy and Naz for all of the packing and cleaning efforts to date, and those yet to come. Without you around to beat the packing boredom, I would probably have died from sniffing too much packing tape, my hands black from wrapping glassware in newspaper print. Your reward? Me, living in your house for the next 12 months. Lucky you. But you are getting the flat screen TV as an added bonus.

No comments:

Post a Comment