Friday, December 24, 2010

My first day on the job as a full time writer

It has been 24 hours since I walked out the front doors of AECOM's Brisbane's office and into my new life as a full time writer (unpaid, unpublished, living at home with parents).

Did I feel sad walking out the doors? Hard to say really. I can't say I comprehended it. Even when I handed over my former lifebloods (my blackberry and laptop) it didn't feel like it was really happening. Even when I said goodbye to my bosses Frank and Lorraine. Sitting in the bus on the way home I kept saying to myself "This is the last time you will have to wear these heels for six months" but even that didn't sink in. Maybe because I know it is going to go quickly and I will be walking through those doors again in no time. Or maybe because the overriding thought running through my head was "I've done it. SHIT. Now I actually have to stop talking about this book and actually write it".

D-Day has arrived.

Here is a quick snapshot of what a day in the life of a full time writer has consisted of so far:

7:30am Wake up and play Nintendo Wii with five year old nephew and Dad.
8:00am Beat Dad at ten pin bowls by scoring a Turkey. Take pride in fact I am excellent online sportsperson since so uncoordinated in real life.
8:30am Eat two Weet Bix.
9:15am Walk to ferry with Mum, Brother-in-law Damian, and nephews Will (5) and Ed (2).
10:00am Arrive at ScienceCentre. Spend approximately two and a half hours putting together Rubik's cubes and cheering for Ed as he did the 25m sprint challenge about 50 times in a row.
1:00pm Arrive home at Bulimba. Eat hot dog.
1:30pm Snooze on couch following extended and exhaustive cheering efforts for the 25m sprint.
2:30pm Older sister Elissa and soon-to-be brother-in-law Jules arrive from Sydney.
3:30pm Quick dash to Coles for last minute Christmas day essentials i.e. tonic for the gin.
4:30pm Crack open first bottle of champagne (Moet) to celebrate Liss and Jules engagement.
5:00pm Crack open second bottle of champagne (Veuve) .
5:05pm Robust discussion on whether Moet or Veuve is better. General consensus = Moet.
5:55pm Fire up computer to write a blog entry
6:00pm Realise that using alcohol to get the creative juices flowing is not that effective. Just causes lots of spelling errors.
6:15pm Come to the conclusion that Christmas Eve should not be considered a prime example of a day in the life of a full time writer.

I have signed an imaginary contract in my head that states that the full time writing gig starts next week. For now I am going to write a few blogs, spend some time with my family, catch up on some sleep, eat a few rum balls and drink a bit too much champagne/gin and tonics. Next week it is 2,500 words a day, come inspiration or not. Does that make me nervous? Yes. But excited too. Best go and have another glass of champagne - apparently it is a very good relaxant.

Merry Christmas everyone!

1 comment:

  1. So excited for your new adventure, can't wait to read your book!!!

    ReplyDelete