Saturday, January 1, 2011

New Year’s Resolutions be damned – this year it’s all about Good Intentions

Every year I write New Year’s resolutions that are usually broken within either a few hours or a few weeks. They are generally related to eating nothing but lettuce three times a day/training for a triathlon/ learning an instrument and joining a band/becoming fluent in a foreign language/writing a book/not being cranky/saving money/my love life (making effort to find new boyfriend rather than sit at home playing trivial pursuit with cat etc).
Resolutions no more. This year it is all about Goodbyes, Gratitudes and Good Intentions - intentions being less tangible than resolutions and therefore less guilt involved in breaking them.
Goodbyes:
-          Corporate Girl (albeit temporarily) and associated paraphernalia and lifestyle – blackberry, high heels, frantic demeanour, stress related alcoholism etc
-          The A-Team, Country Road, Veronika Maine, Miami Cocktail no. 14 (refer previous posts).
-          My little place in Arthur Terrace, Red Hill – don’t have too much fun without me.
-          Celebrating New Year’s Eve at Noosa Surf Club where I am at least 10 years older than 95% of other revellers.
Gratitudes:
-          Wonderful parents who support their boomerang daughter (yes, that’s me) without question, and provide five star boarding facilities.
-          Corporate girl job that pays enough money to fund creative girl adventures.
-          Friends and family who are endlessly encouraging.
-          Laptops and delete keys (imagine writing a novel long hand! Jane Austen I salute you).
-          A cool workplace that said “off you go, just make sure you come back”.
-          Kell Kent, who inspired me to take the step and just do it! And made me shake hands over 12 months ago to promise I would do it – she knows I am too honest to go back on a handshake.
Good Intentions:
-          Finish writing a novel (no cheating allowed i.e. 50,000 word novella or similar. Must be considered full length).
-          Go back to work (yes, I do intend to do this. On 4 July – the irony that that is Independence Day is not lost on me).
-          Don’t spend all my money in the first three months.
-          Do not enter shops in London that sell: clothing, footwear, luxury items (unless life or death requires purchase of items).
-          Learn some basic language skills in Spain/Portugal/Greece or whichever cheap, warm European nation I end up inhabiting for a couple of months.
-          Exercise more, eat better, don’t be cranky, and make effort with love life. Old habits die hard.
So goodbye 2010, hello 2011! I have been eagerly awaiting your arrival. I think we are going to have some fun together this year.
Happy New Year everyone!  

No comments:

Post a Comment