Sunday, November 7, 2010

The distraction of fake moustaches and feather boas

The last two weeks have been evidence enough for me that I need to take time off to get this book written. I haven’t even had time to buy cat food let alone write my blog. Instead I have been working 14 hour days getting our annual Queensland conference organised (what that has to do with my job as Marketing Manager I have never quite figured out but think it has something to do with a combination of event management skills and being unable to say no). It felt kind of like organising four weddings at once. 80 people, two and a half days, one awards night, and one murder mystery night (where I got to dress them all up in dodgy costumes and fake moustaches – very satisfying). I did learn that night that giving the Russian Mafia table a shot glass as part of their costume and then a real bottle of vodka as a table prop was not such a smart move. Lets just say that there are things I saw that night that will I will never be able to erase from my memory involving male work colleagues, a black lacy bra, feather boas and the song "Sweet Transvestite".
 Anyway, I packed them all back on the bus to Brisbane at 4:45pm on Friday (to be precise, it was a momentous occasion) and come Sunday morning I think I may have just about recovered. So time to get back to blogging and writing.
Two things of note have happened in my corporate to creative journey since I last blogged.
1.     We have shortlisted two candidates for my job – hallelujah!
2.     My townhouse is officially up for rent.
I have mixed feelings about both of these. While I want to find someone for my job so I can head off into the land of writing, I feel sad about leaving my team. I personally hired all of them, built the team from the ground up, and we have alot of fun at work (when we are not rolling our eyes at the antics of left brain engineers). Once we have a preferred candidate there is no going back.
I also love living in Red Hill. I like being able to walk home after a night out at the rugby and a few drinks at Gambaros (and I admit maybe a dance floor session at the Caxton – I blame the cheap wine at Suncorp Stadium). I love being able to walk down to have brekkie at Anouk in Paddington. Even though I usually drive because I am lazy. I know it’s only for 12 months but I am still feeling a little nostalgic.
Not much movement on the rental front yet though. I am trying to rent it furnished (refer to earlier lazy comment) and apparently there is only a small market for this. Will try it out for a few weeks to see what happens. I just had a look on the rental site and it has had 181 page visits...but zero inspections. There is something wrong with that equation. Think I had better start looking for some furniture storage.
Big thanks for Roary though for getting in a couple of the photos taken by the rental agent – gives the place some added character (see if you can Spot Roary Here). Just hope my body corporate don’t see it since I never did get around to paying that $100 to keep you here. You just might get evicted early.

No comments:

Post a Comment