Monday, September 20, 2010

That thing called Synchronicity

When I first read about Synchronicity in The Artists Way I thought, yep, I want some of that. Its like the Universe making things happen to show it supports you - like telling your sisters best friend that you are writing a book and lo and behold she is related to some amazing publisher. I think there is a higher probability of success with potential synchronicity than the adoption method. Maybe just writing my blog will generate some goodwill in the world as well.

So I've been on the lookout for some synchronicity in my life. And I when it happened it was actually quite significant. From a career perspective. Which isn't the type of synchronicty I was really looking for but let's not get hung up on the details.

I was pretty nervous about asking my bosses (yes, there are two of them) for six months off work so I could write a novel. Nervous but also determined - I didn't tell them this, but if they had said No I was ready to resign. I feel strongly that I want to do this in my life, and do it now. I have never been a patient person, never been one to use lay-by, so it is unlikely that I am going to develop this enviable trait at the age of 33. I was also fully prepared to drop the "lets pretend I am pregnant and going on maternity leave and then you wouldn't even have a choice about it..except instead of giving birth to a baby I'm giving birth to a book" statement but thankfully I didn't need to - they were nothing but supportive. As well as being great people, I also like to think it is some good kharma for all the hours I have worked over the last 3.5 years (ie they could probably pay me a full time rate for the next 6 months and it wouldn't quite cover the salary of my extra hours...hint hint).

And then the Synchroncity happened. I said to Boss 1, the Marketing Director for Australia and New Zealand, that, actually, I am kind of tired of my job, and when I come back it would be great if I could do something different. And she said (OK, not word for word but something along the lines of) "Funny you should say that, I have been asked to take on a global project for the next 2-3 years. How about coming and helping me out in Corporate so I can go off and do this job?". And that was it. A new job presented itself and before I knew it my current role is on Seek and I am starting interviews next week.

I have never had to replace myself before. It is quite a strange concept. While I want to get the best possible Manager for my team, I also don't want to get anyone who is too good and will show me up. A fine line.

The end of Corporate Girl could come sooner than I think - Boss 1 wants me to head off and do my creative thing as soon as I have found my replacement, which could be within a month. I am working up a sweat just thinking about it. The true test of whether I am a fraud or not is imminent. Fingers crossed for some creative synchronicity next!

No comments:

Post a Comment