Monday, September 27, 2010

My lack of discretion

Today I read an article called "The Working Mothers Guide to Writing a Novel". I am not a mother and soon will not be working, but I read with interest how an American woman called Mary McNamara wrote a book while raising three young children and working full time. Bloody amazing effort I say.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/tv/la-et-mary-mcnamara-20100926,0,6312255.story

She offers a list of what she thinks people in the same boat need to do. I read item number nine with particular interest:

9. Discretion. Of course you want to tell everyone that you're writing a book, and whoever you tell will then be forced to ask what it's about (only a few will honestly care, by the way). But talking about writing a book is not, as it turns out, the same as writing a book. In fact, it often proves to be the opposite of writing a book
Now discretion is something I have clearly thrown to the wind since deciding I am going to take time off to write my novel. I have told anyone and everyone who will listen - but this is just what I need to do in order to make it happen. Once I have told people that I am doing something, I feel personally committed to it. If I kept it to myself, I would continue with the excuses and never do it. So hence my blog and practically hiring the sky writer.

What I am slowly discovering with writers is that everyone is very different in their approach. Some writers can only stare at a blank wall to write. Some meticulously map out their plot and characters for months before typing a single word, others just start writing and let the book take shape as they go. Kate Grenville only writes 400 words per day, Simon Higgins wrote one of his novels in two weeks. Some writers hand write everything before typing it up (writers cramp 101).

One of the ladies I met last Thursday told me that she hasn't told anyone about her book apart from her hubby - she is too scared of what people are going to say, of the knowing "get your head out of the clouds" look. I have found the exact opposite - I am actually yet to come across a naysayer. Everyone seems to be genuinely excited for me - maybe it is the fact that I lead in with the "I am taking six months off work" component before the "I am writing a book".

It would be nice if there was a tried and tested method - but like everything, there are a million ways to skin a cat. Don't worry Roary, you're safe....for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment