Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Can a corporate girl get creative?

When I was at University I dreamed of climbing the corporate ladder. It was the early 90's so I had visions of black power suits, boardrooms and striding through the city in six inch heels, looking highly important. When I look back now, I think I was more enamoured with the image than the thought of what I would actually be doing.

So I have precariously climbed the corporate ladder, and am now managing a marketing and comms team at a large Engineering and design firm. Big pat on the back to me and my ladder climbing efforts! But I cant help asking....is this really it?

I like my job, I just dont love it. What I love to do is write. I just don't do it. My head is too full of marketing guff and staff issues to think about getting creative. Six years ago I took a Creative Writing course at QUT, wrote three chapters of a book I was told were 'publishable' and promptly shelved them for the power suits. So now I am shelving the power suits and rewriting the chapters (cringeworthy, thank god they were never published!).

It is August 11, 2010. Come Christmas, I am taking extended leave to earn no income, stay at home, and write. And I cant wait. But I am also pretty nervous - about not having any money, not being able to afford my mortgage, having only the cat to talk to, and failing big time - something I haven't ever really done before (unless you count my love life...massive failure). But I am chasing my dream and I am going to blog about my journey and the many, many stumbles I totally expect to make along the way. Who knows, one day when I am a wildly successful author, maybe even this blog will be made into a book! Dream big, Kathryn, dream big.

So the big question is......can a corporate girl really get creative?

No comments:

Post a Comment