Friday, August 13, 2010

Reading too many self help books can get confusing

I have just finished reading "A New Earth". My good friend (and fellow writer and avid supporter - I am writing that now so you can all witness that I said that BEFORE she won the Pulitzer) Kell Kent recommedned it to me. It is an Oprah Book Club read, so really, what further recommendation can a girl need? And I can honestly say that I loved it - lose the ego, be present in the moment, follow the will of God (no, I am not going and getting all religious on you now - but follow the will of the Universe...I can get that).

But I am getting a bit confused. You see, I am also doing The Writers Way at the moment (although I havent written my morning pages for two days, but don't tell anyone). The WW is encouraging me to 'unblock my creative spirit', which I am in dire need of, and find a way to make a living from my creativity. Hallelujah for that. But A New Earth tells me that I can't wish for something like being a famous author, because that is just my ego talking, and I need to put that ego back in its place. So I need to unblock my creative spirit and write my book without any thought of it ever being published. That is like putting a block of Cadbury Black Forrest chocolate in front of me (unwrapped) and telling me not to eat it. As well as feeling confused, I am becoming more and more concerned that I may have to move into a caravan for the remainder of my life to support myself as an unblocked yet unpublishable writer.

Reading too many self help books at once is actually not helpful at all. I think Eckhart Tolle would be disappointed in me. I have clearly missed the point.

No comments:

Post a Comment