Wednesday, October 13, 2010

The Sex and the Cash Theory

Hugh Macleod has a theory. It's called the Sex and the Cash Theory - not to be confused with the Sex and the City Theory (which is a complicated theory linking the number of inappropriate men you sleep with to the number of Cosmopolitans you consume) or anything to do with prostitution. It's about creativity.

The Sex and the Cash Theory goes something like this: creative people need two jobs - one is the sexy creative one, the other brings in the cash to pay the mortgage. I came across it in Hugh's manifesto How To Be Creative. The theory centres on the basic concept that only idiots give up their day jobs to pursue their creative interests.

Which got me to wondering if Hugh would consider me an idiot for giving up my job for six months or a legend for not quitting it entirely. He would definitely think I am stupid:

QUOTE
"People think all they need to do is endure one crazy, intense, job-free creative burst and their dreams will come true. They are wrong, stupidly wrong".
UNQUOTE

He wouldn't be alone in thinking this about me. My boss called me an idiot once - he has a theory that everyone is an idiot and we spend our lives trying to stop other people from cottoning on. Seems everyone has a theory about idiots and stupid people. Although I know it's not personal I cant help wondering if Hugh is right. Am I stupidly wrong to take on this crazy endeavour?

Although I'm blonde, I try not to be too stupid most of the time. I'm a safety girl. Not like the Julia Roberts pretty woman type, which would perhaps be appropriate given the sex and the cash theme of this blog entry, but the sensible, goody two-shoes, always have to have a safety net type of safety girl. Which is why I am not quitting my job entirely. So maybe I am only half stupid.

Perhaps I will instead just focus on the first item on Hugh's list of 26 tips for budding creatives: Ignore everybody. Including Hugh.


No comments:

Post a Comment